Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Technology Sharing Inservice Day

I recently spent an in-service day with my colleagues exploring iPod/iPad use for children with special needs. The day flew by, we had great positive energy all day long. The SLP's found apps for speech, language and articulation help. The early education folks found apps for the little ones and our physical therapist found apps for children's exercises. How many ways can you say it? "Yes, there's an app for that!"
Some of my new favorites are: Pottery Wheel (recreation), Pickn Stix (perceptual skills), Scratch a Sketch (motor skills) and Pages (a word processing productivity app.) I also upgraded to the full version of Soundrop - - well worth the money! 
On another note, I downloaded Pictello by Assistiveware. It is an app that lets you write social stories. You can bring in your own photos, recorded voice and/or lines of printed text. The huge bummer is that it is not iPad compatible. It will only work on iPod touch and iPhone. After spending $15 on this one, I was really disappointed. I contacted the company, and they replied back very quickly stating that they are working on version 1.1 which will be a free upgrade that will be iPad compatible. No release date on that yet. In the meantime, I will put it onto the iPod touch and get going with it! By the way, Assistware is the company that created ProLoQuo2Go, the most comprehensive speech output app available.
Happy App Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment