Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Exploring ways to Access the iPad

There are so many GREAT uses for the iPad, but accessing it poses challenges for some folks. An immediate challenge is that people with physical limitations may not be able to access the touch screen of the iPad. The screens on iPads and iPods respond to electric impulses in the hand rather than a physical tap (the way a stylus works on a tap pad.) Many people can simply touch the screen with the tip of their finger to access the Apps. For some folks, this can present a challenge, so I have been exploring the various ways to "activate" the touch screen. I purchased an iPod specific stylus on eBay. Actually, I purchased two, one for $1.29 and one for $7.99. When they arrived, it turns out they were the exact same product in two very different packages. Hah!
This stylus has worked well for some folks but not all. I created a cuff for my student to be able to hold onto it more firmly. So far so good.
This next suggestion is a fun one. I get a charge out of this kind of stuff. Dan Gilman shared with me that the wrapper from a 3 Musketeers Bar is "conductive" for some reason, and can activate the iPad screen. I decided to give it a try. So, I bought and ate (what else was I supposed to do with it?) a 3 Musketeers Bar and put the wrapper onto a dowel to create a long handled stylus. My only complaint, I wish Reese's wrappers would do the trick!

No comments:

Post a Comment